relocate gnome files

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Jun 1 17:40:59 EDT 2011

On woensdag 1 juni 2011, Robert Heller wrote:
> At Wed, 1 Jun 2011 14:18:48 +0000 (UTC) mchaires at comcast.net wrote:
> > I am a new GnuCash user and I've just installed v2.4.5 on Windows 7 and
> > created a chart of accounts. I've managed to place the $HOME, ledger,
> > backup and log files where I want them, but GnuCash creates other files
> > in unwanted places.
> >

> > Is it possible to relocate the following directories from the root of
> > Users/foo (where foo is the user that did the install) to some other
> > directory? Are these gnome files? Are they necessary?
> >
> > Â Â Â .gconf
> >
> > Â Â Â .gconfd
> >
> > Â Â Â .gnome2
> >
> > Â Â Â .gnome2_private
>
> These are gnome files.  They are *probably* necessary.  Deleting them or
> moving will probably result in them being recreated with default values.

Correct. These files are used to store a number of preferences.

> > Â Â Â .gnucash
>
> This is a gnucash file.  This hold's Users/foo's preferences and stuff
> like saved reports, stuff like that.  Removing it or moving it, will
> only cause it to be recreated with default values and any saved reports
> will be lost (or hard to find).

Also correct.

> You probably can't move them, unless you redefine what HOME is, which
> will likely mean that you would have to move everything in Users/foo to
> the new place for HOME.

Not quite. You can redefine home for GnuCash only. That will move all the
directories where you want them to be. The easiest way to do this is to add a
parameter in c:\Program Files\gnucash\etc\gnucash\environment, like:
HOME=c:\MyNewHome

Regards,

Geert