2.4.6 gconfd-2 repeated crashes OS X

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Fri Jun 3 01:01:26 EDT 2011

--On June 2, 2011 3:11:40 PM -0700 John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
wrote:

> The rpath is changed during bundle creation. Everything is built with
> a prefix of /Library/Gnucash-2.4; that's why the symlink works. (It's
> necessary because dbus has hardcoded paths in it, apparently because
> Havoc thinks that makes it more secure. Ideally there would be no
> need for the symlink and the kludgy shell script to set it up.) The
> rpath is just as invalid when dbus-daemon is started from the shell
> script. What's different, I think, is in that case the environment,
> including DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, gets passed to gconfd and it can find
> its dependencies. It appears that when launchd handles launching
> dbus-daemon that the environment is not passed to gconfd, so it can't.
>
> No matter, it's easy enough to go back to the shell script until I
> have time to get rid of dbus and gconf altogether.

I'm confused, but that's not unusual.  Since you build with that prefix
and add a symlink to make it valid, why do you have to do the rpath
renaming?  It seems like you could just leave things as they are built
and things would work, including having launchd launch dbus.  What am I
missing?  It seems a shame to go back to the business of spawning an
arbitrary number of dbus processes if it's easy to avoid it although I
grant that they don't cost much.

          Mike