Business-feature questions

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Sat Jun 4 20:37:37 EDT 2011

The current balance for each member will appear on the standard receivable
aging report, assuming the members have each been set up as a customer and
an invoice has been issued for each customer's subscription.  A
pseudo-statement for an individual member can be produced with the Customer
Report.

Reading between the lines it sounds like we're talking about a dues
situation in which the dues can either be subscribed in installments or paid
in full (presumably an annual membership fee.)  The only way that occurs to
me to apply a portion of Customer A's payment to Customer B's account would
be to actually revise (reduce) Cusomer A's  payment amount after the fact
(which GnuCash does, I believe, permit) and apply a payment for that amount
to Customer B.  I don't see any reason it should be the responsibility of a
social club bookkeeper to retain any information as to who helped who and by
how much.  That's a matter between the individual members.