Creating a file to import in GNUCash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 14 11:09:02 EDT 2011

Thomas Goirand <thomas at goirand.fr> writes:

> Hi Derek,
>
> On 06/12/2011 11:05 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Alas, right now QIF is single-currency only.  You cannot (currently) do
>> this.
>
> I read otherwise on the GNUCash bug tracker, that there IS some
> multi-currency QIF files, but that the author of GNUCash didn't know how
> it looked like. Issue is: me either, I don't know how to produce one,
> and I didn't find examples online. I thought about downloading the free
> version (trial?) of Quicken to try, but failed to find where to download
> it. I'll try again...

Sorry, let me be more clear.  Right now QIF in GnuCash is
single-currency only.

> Then if I succeed in doing this, I'll try to modify GNUCash if it's
> needed (I know the C language, and I'm a Debian developer, so it's up to
> my level...).
>
> At the end, I think I'd might need to ask for help in the GNC devel list.

Note that the QIF importer is mostly in Scheme, not C.  The UI is in
C+glade, but the parsing and logic are all implemented in Scheme.

>> I couldn't answer you about how hard it would be.  My
>> recommendation would be to do the import in EUR into an EUR account, and
>> then you can do a bulk transfer from EUR to GPB.
>
> Is there a way to do that in an automated way in GNUCash? Because the
> goal is to do automation you know. So I all but want to do it
> transaction by transaction! I'd need to transfer the full of my newly
> imported EUR account into the GBP sales account...

At this point none of the importers are "automatic".  Everything
requires user interaction.

>> Either that or do the conversion ahead of time and import it all as GBP.
>
> Well, the issue is that at the end, the Paypal account has to stay in
> EUR (because that's reality), but the sales account IS in GBP for the
> accounting... So I have no choice here.

Well... why is the sales account in GBP?  If you're being paid in EUR
why not "bill" in EUR?