Oh dear, it turns out we don't get VAT back...

edpsystems systems at englishdentalpractice.com
Thu Jun 16 10:00:23 EDT 2011

I love the way IANAA can become internet slang and understood in 2 days!
Brilliant!

I'm not an accountant either, my aim when I implemented GnuCash was to move
away from monthly spreadsheets and be able to monitor our overheads vs
income in-house. As you rightly point out we're a dental clinic, so we have
to look at our cost of services, maintenance and materials, but it's not
proving beneficial because although I can see we spent x on electricity, it
actually cost x+VAT, and the reports don't take the VAT into account.

If GnuCash doesn't cater for VAT-exempt businesses then I can't say I didn't
try.

Stu