Anyone using any phone apps to record expenses for gnucash?

Michael DeBusk mdebusk at nlphilia.com
Sun Jun 19 16:19:42 EDT 2011

On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 18:45:06 +0200, Lovius <gnucash at lovius.eu> wrote:

> Has anyone used a phone app to record details which can be uploaded to
> Gnucash? Or what?

I used to recommend XPenser: http://xpenser.com/ . They have an attractive
Android app and an attractive iOS app, there's a decent Web interface, and
you can access it by SMS, Twitter, IM, voice, e-mail, practically anything.
The single thing that annoys me about them is that they won't support
Categories. I'm under the impression that they reserve that feature for
their "business" (paying) customers. What I would do is add my GnuCash
account name in the memo field and then run the QIF through
search-and-replace in a text editor.

Now I use Cash2QIF: http://code.google.com/p/cash2qif/ . It's for Android
only, as far as I can tell. They support Categories, so now I can use a
memo field for what it's meant for. The exported QIF is a little odd, but
I've mentioned it on the wiki and I trust they'll fix it. (No coding skills
here.) The oddness has to do with the date (there's a single quote between
the day and year rather than a forward slash) and the categories (there's a
forward slash appended to the line.) So I still have to run the QIF through
a text editor.

Cash2QIF is free and needs some refinement. The XPenser app is inexpensive
and pretty.