noob questions - drowning here

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sun Jun 26 13:22:12 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Sun, June 26, 2011 1:10 pm, not.a.ninja wrote:
> Hi all.
> just spent the last few hours trying to get to grips with Gcash. I really
> want to like it, but I'm on the verge of being beat! Please excuse if my
> post isn't in the right place.
>
> I have been through the help documentation and found it pretty sparse in
> terms of a startup information once your accounts are created. I have 2
> questions right now:

Have you gone through the Concepts & Tutorial Guide?  It would answer your
questions:

> 1 - does anyone know of a good tutorial for beginner home users on a blog
> or
> something (I can't find one)

See the Concepts & Tutorial Guide.  It's not on a blog, but it is online.
There is also the Wiki (and associated FAQ).

> 2 - how do you enter income?? I tried to enter it in my salary account,
> but
> I guess the double booking system didn't like that I wasn't sending it
> somewhere. If I enter salary in one of my asset accounts as comming from
> an
> income account, it seems to like that better, but I'm confused. Can
> someone
> say step by step where I enter my pay! I'll get it in the end.

GnuCash works best when you do all your data entry from your Asset or
Liability accounts.  So for Salary you should open up your Checking
account and enter your salary as a transfer from Income:Salary.  If you
want to be more pedantic you can make it a Split transaction to split out
your gross income into the various withholding expense accounts, and then
only the net proceeds get put into your checking account.

> Thanks heaps

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745