GNU Cash installation issue

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Mar 10 06:18:55 EST 2011

On donderdag 10 maart 2011, Leslie Radke wrote:
> Hi Geert,
>
> I was wondering if my message had reached you, or if it was still held up
> by the list moderator. I was just getting ready to write and ask when I
> saw your email.
>
> Windows 7 has changed the user accounts from C:\Documents and Settings to
> C:\Users but I assume you knew that. I think that started with Vista but I
> only had Vista for a short time before upgrading to Windows 7.

I didn't know as I don't have neither Windows Vista nor Windows 7 available.

> I installed version 2.4.3 and also tried running it as an administrator,
> but with no change. There are all the same issues as before.

Ok, let's try one more thing. I had plans already to change the default
location for the settings. We might as well test if this would fix the problem
at hand.

* locate the file C:\Program Files (x86)\GnuCash\etc\gnucash\environment
* inside this file, add a line:
HOME={APPDATA}/GnuCash

You will have to start GnuCash twice to see if it has any effect, because the
new location won't have any preferences stored in it yet. Try to change some
settings after the first time you start GnuCash (like disabling the tip of the
day messages) and see if they stick after you restart GnuCash.

> I thank you for all your help with this, and I'm happy to keep going if it
> is helpful to you. But at this point I'm thinking of going back Quicken or
> trying out Moneydance. I like the program. It seems well thought out and
> put together -- able to do all the things I want it to do for personal
> finance. But I've had a few too many problems in just one month: this
> installation problem, not being able to open my finance file last week on
> my laptop, and I've also had a problem with the reconcile feature.

I can understand that you feel like there are too many problems. You have had
a few to deal with. GnuCash is generally a rather stable program though which
goes to great lenghts to ensure your data is safe. The main problem is that
none of the core devs has access to a Windows 7 64bit installation (this is a
volunteer project after all). There are other users that are running GnuCash
happily on that platform as far as I know, but I don't know all the
configuration details and variations that are possible and that could
interfere with how GnuCash works.

You are helping me understanding some of the issues there, so your feedback
has been very valuable to me. If you feel like you want to switch programs
though, you areobviously free to do so and I appreciate the time you have
spent on all the feedback.

> I reconciled one of my bank accounts in January, but when I went to
> reconcile February's statement, one of the transactions had converted back
> to "c". I did the reconcile again and once again marked this translation
> as part of reconciling. That zero'ed everything out and I finished, only
> to still have the transaction marked as "c" instead of "y." I couldn't
> find any way manually to change the "c" to "y", only to move from "n" to
> "c". Is there a way to do this?

If you wish to continue with gnucash, can I ask you to create a new thread for
this problem ? We are so deep in the installation issue thread, that I doubt
anyone but you and me are still reading this one. I don't have a good answer
to this question (which is very unlikely to be Windows only), but others may
have.

Geert