Business Accounting Question

Jane Stowe jane.stowe.boyd at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 19:54:34 EST 2011

If it's any help/not more confusion......I help at a small charity playgroup & when we sell merchandise like t-shirts/dvds etc to raise funds it's allocated as follows (using your example of t-shirt costing $15 & selling for $25):

1) Firstly the supplier has been set up as a 'Vendor' & the individual parents have been set up as 'Customers'

2) T-shirt purchased:
Invoice applied to vendor a/c debiting expense merchandise $15 & crediting accounts payable $15. When cheque paid to supplier, a payment is processed on the vendor account which debits accounts payable $15 & credits checking account $15

3) T-shirt sale:
Invoice applied to customer account crediting income merchandise account $25 & debiting accounts receivable $25. When payment received, a payment is processed on the customer account which debits checking account $25 & credits accounts receivable $25

In this way at end of the year you can see how much you spent on merchandise (expense merchandise account $15), how much you sold (income merchandise account $25), profit would be the difference between these totals (income-expense $10), & you'll see what you currently owe the supplier (under accounts payable/vendor report) & also what's owed to you from individual parents (under accounts receivable/customer report)

HTH,
Jane

-- Sent from my Palm Prē
On 11 Mar 2011 23:33, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> At Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:56:03 -0700 Mark Phillips <

> mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:

> > Ok, but how do I handle the check I paid to the merchant for the

> sweatshirt?

> > At time of purchase:

> > debit merchandise expense $15

> > credit checking $15

> > At time of sale:

> > Debit checking $25

> > credit income $10

> > credit merchandise expense $15

> > At the end of the day, my merchandise expense is $0, which does not seem

> > correct.

> Ah but it is.  Your merchandise expense was covered by the sale, with

> $10 'profit'.

Now I am really confused. When I buy supplies for the office, I credit

checking account and debit the supplies expense account. At the end of the

year, I can see how much I spend on supplies. Your approach says at the end

of the year, I spent $0 on team merchandise, when I actually spend $10.

Mark

gnucash-user at gnucash.org