Bump: exporting from gnucash...?

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Mar 18 06:09:18 EDT 2011

On vrijdag 18 maart 2011, Karl Auer wrote:
> Another question where I'd appreciate a hint...
>
> Can I get my data out of GnuCash if I need to?
>
> Thanks, K.

In addition to the answers of the others, your GnuCash data file is straight
xml itself, optionally (and likely) compressed with gzip. That format is
fairly universal in itself.

And since GnuCash 2.4 you could save your data in an sqlite3 file or in a
MySQL or PostGreSQL database. I would still be cautious to do that with
production grade data. But other than that, this stores your data in such a
way you can access it from external tools.

Less extreme: reports can be exported to html. Several users reported before
of using this to post process there reports in Excel or OpenOffice Calc.

These are obviously all only partial solutions, but may be of use depending on
what you want to do with your exported data.

Geert