Starting a new set of accounts from an old one

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 22 14:28:17 EDT 2011

--- On Tue, 3/22/11, David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk> wrote:

> From: David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk>
> Subject: Starting a new set of accounts from an old one
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 6:54 AM
> At the end of my 2010-11 accounting
> year I shall want to start a new set
> of GNUcash files for the year 2011-12, using the same
> account hierarchy
> as my 2010-11 accounts, and with opening balances equal to
> the closing
> balances of the earlier accounts.
>
> I am sure there must be an easy way to do this, but I can't
> find it.
> Can somebody point me in the right direction, please?

As I understand it (I don't close my own books, so my understanding is based on what I've read), your path is:

1) Use the File->Export->Export Accounts option to export an empty Chart of Accounts to a new file
2) Generate a report of current balances
3) Open new file and enter the opening balances.

HTH,
David