New trading accounts for currencies - help in setting up

Gez suleika at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 16:10:32 EDT 2011

On 27 March 2011 19:00, Ian K <ik522000 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Gez wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, it looks like Ctrl-F ("find transaction") won't
> > return any
> > values that are only in the trading accounts, so I can't search for
> > transactions by their value in the original currency.
> >
> I'm not sure why you want to search within the trading accounts. To search
> for transactions in the original currency, you can look in the accounts of
> the originating transactions. e.g. if your base ccy is GBP and you spent
> some USD cash while on holiday, a transaction might look like:
>
> Assets:Cash:USD Cash -USD50, Trading:CURRENCY:USD +USD50
> Expenses:Holiday +GBP31.25, Trading:CURRENCY:GBP -GBP31.35
>
> So just look in USD Cash to see the currency transaction.

Oops - sorry.  I had it the wrong way round.  It is the other values that
Ctrl-F does not find - the calculated value of the expenses in the other
currency - e.g. the Expenses:Holiday +GBP31.25 above. Maybe I should start a
new thread about it - I'm beginning to wonder if there's something buggy
going on, since there have been a few other anomalies.  I won't go into them
here.

> As for rates, the transaction picks up the latest price from the Price
> Editor. You can update prices automatically in the Price Editor if
> Finance::Quote is installed.

I shall look into this - thanks.

Gez