Invoicing questions

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Mar 29 09:19:31 EDT 2011

On Tuesday 29 March 2011 02:24:59 Diann wrote:
> 1.	I like the invoice functionality.  However, I would like to be able
> to have the functionality of actually editing the format of the invoice, to
> change the column headings and to delete some of the columns altogether.
> Is there a way to do this?  For instance, I would like to replace the word
> "Action"  with the word "Case", and "Quantity" with "Time" (Attorneys bill
> clients on a time-billed basis.).  I would like to delete the discount
> columns altogether.  I would also like to delete the tax column (for the
> present time) with the option of adding them back in should it become
> necessary to start charging a tax for services provided to clients.

Hi Diann,

Just to be clear - is this the actual _printed_ invoice, or the dialogue where
the invoices are created (or both...)

If you are concerned with the print out, then that should be fairly easy to
change "Qty" for "Time" etc.  Far harder in the code for the dialogues, I
suspect (unless you want to keep your own version of the GC sources up to
date....!)

> 2.	Is there a way to create a quick receipt for a one-time only billed
> fee (such as for a consultation) instead of going through all the formality
> of adding a customer, creating an invoice, posting, printing, paying the
> invoice and receipting the client?   This would be in a case where a
> potential client has an appointment for a one-hour consultation only and
> decides not to go forward with a legal action and we will never see them
> again.  The consultation could very well be over and done with before all
> the above-mentioned data is entered in order to produce a receipt.

I too have a single "Occasional Customer" set up, their address goes in to the
notes field, but I do all my invoicing outside of GC and just plug the
relevant numbers in.  I have a sort of half-hearted ambition to make the new
GC SQL database backend fill an external invoice template, but that is just
an embryonic idea at present....

Maf,