reconcile reset? and related issues

Maris maris.rob at vdi.de
Fri May 13 18:36:07 EDT 2011

Meanwhile I suggested myself the following: The left side of the
reconciliation window could also be partially empty/invisible because of a
whole lot of payments that gnucash reminds of executing them upon program
invocation. Indeed, when I test it (simply assign a payment to a sample
invoice) this payment entry appears in the reconciliation window of the
A/P-account. So, in a nutshell: I cannot ignore these payment assignments
(as I did until now). But this contradicts with my workflow, which is as
follows:
I do my bookkeeping in certain time intervals, entering vendor invoices
and IMPORTING bank transactions. With this "mass" import (e.g. once a
month) many actual invoice payments are among them. I'd expect that
reconciliation of the associated A/P-account should automatically set
payment flags where I tick matches. Instead, I have to assign payments
using the appropriate dialog, and then delete the equivalent bank account
entry from the import.

Note that the behaviour is not similar on the A/R resp. customer invoice
side. Here all entries appear in the reconciliation dialog, also when not
explicitly marked as payed using the intended method. Here I can
successfully do reconciliation. However, when I afterwards do "official"
payment assignment, in order to have "payed" flags appear in an invoice
list, then I also get a double payment record in the bank account. Here a
deletion of the imported equivalent entry would cause an imbalance in
reconciliation, so this is practically prohibited.

All in all, I feel that some discussion about workflow is due. Perhaps I
should modify my workflow, but it makes importing data batches more
painful.