import quicken data

WasserLand dwass at optusnet.com.au
Sat May 14 18:51:02 EDT 2011

Hi Ann,

I was, until recently, a captive of Quicken. I too had to face being
blocked from my own data because my annual, ever increasing,bounty had
expired.

A tricky way to get at your data is to download a Quicken free trial
version (90 days). They ask for your details and make you register so I
provided a variation of my name and other details. That done you will be
able to get at your data by loading your original Quicken files. (I have
no compunction in doing this because I object to being excluded from my
ten years of accumulated data at their whim!)

 From there you need to export a report of each your accounts into
separate spreadsheets. And from there your can create .qif files using
"xl2qif" (or similar name. Google it.) macro.

In my case I have simplified the process by stating my GnuCash from Jan
1 2011. The remainder of my quicken data I have dumped into an all
transaction spreadsheet where I can still access my old transactions
using suitable filters.

Stick with it Ann. It's worth it. Although there is the inevitable
learning curve to travel. I am very happy with GnuCash and becoming
comfortable with its methodology.

Happy to help further if needed.

Good luck.
Dave W