Reducing File Size

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon May 16 06:58:58 EDT 2011

>Glad to hear that you are making progress. It sounds like you are making
>goos progress. To address your questions;
>1. You should not need to make a new "file" to zero out the imbalance
>register. Just add a transaction, for the total amount, between
>imbalance and the desired register. I used "retained earnings" because
>it was there. I've been told that doing that is not the best accounting
>practice. Adding the transaction to a register called "accumulated
>earnings" may be more accurate.

I'm afraid that I have not been following this discussion (because of
the title line) so maybe way off base jumping in here BUT usually you
would never want to "zero out the imbalance" account in one fell swoop.
Instead you would want to correct every transaction that assigned
something to "imbalance".

For example, perhaps the main way folks have transactions going to
"imbalance" is that they forgot to enter the correct account (some other
account). You can correct those entries very easily by bringing the
transaction up for edit and this time filling in an account name instead
of leaving blank. Or in a large split transaction, this time complete
the job instead of entering only some of the splits.

In the old days (pen and ink on paper) you had to first FIND the
offending transactions. Here gnucash is making it easy for you by having
them all grouped in the "imbalance" account.

Michael D Novack, FLMI