Action codes?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat May 28 18:29:05 EDT 2011

At Sat, 28 May 2011 16:48:29 -0500 Kevin Bullock <kbullock at ringworld.org> wrote:

> Is there anywhere in the documentation that lists the meaning of all
> the predefined options for the 'Action' field? Or that describes in
> detail what the field is intended for? Always wondered...

If you mean on invoices, the 'predefined options' are just suggestions
-- they don't mean anthing and GnuCash does not do anything different
based on the 'value' of this field. You can overwrite them with
anything you like. On the invoice this field just identifies what sort
of thing the line item relates to.  For a 'typical' consulting
business, you generally have hours worked (Hours), supplied material
goods (Materials), or maybe you bill by the project (Project). In my
case most of the time it is just time spent (Hours).  For my web
hosting customers, I overwrite the suggestion with 'Months'.  Sometimes
(rarely) I buy and re-sell equipment and use 'Material'.  If you were a
machinest or a custom frabricating business, or in the building trades
you might charge for so many hours you worked and so much for the raw
materials used. There is no specific meaning for this field and if your
business has no use for it, you can skip it (and disable showing it on
the printed invoice -- look under the 'display columns' tab on the
Options screen).