Statement of Owner's Equity Report Customization

Nicolae Crisan nicolaefc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 00:08:20 EST 2011

"From the screenshot in your first email, it looks like you are
running the Equity Statement report starting from June 30, 2012 ending
August 1, 2012. From your second email, you have $555,300CR in your
‘Equity:Kevin Gilmour, Capital’ account. The GL entry(ies) which put
this $555,300CR in the account–are they by chance made on or after
June 30, 2012? That would explain the report showing $0 starting
capital."

That's just it . . . the entire "project" has transactions in July of
2012. Therefore, I set the dates "around" that time period to make
sure I "collected" all of the transactions. So, no that cannot be the
problem. Here is a screenshot of the Kevin Gilmour, Capital account.
That was the first thing though that came to my mind is that I did not
have the date range correctly configured. If you can think of any
other possible cause of this, by all means let me know.

Now, I will say this, how does GNC even know that "Kevin Gilmour,
Capital" is the account it should query for this report? There is not
setting on the report options to set this. Being a developer of many
applications (mostly web based), I would think you have to have some
way for GNC to "know" that this is the account that wil tell the story
on the equity balance. I guess if it simply totalled all the accounts
classed as "Equity", that would achieve the same result, but behold,
the capital balance on the 30th of June is --- zero? It doesn't add up
(ba-ching!). Nice little pun there.

One other important item to discuss in the same sctrain. (Don't you
like reading my walls of text?). Under my Equity ph (placeholder)
account, I have an account called "Open" which holds all the "opening
balances" I should probably move that to a category called "Other" so
as not to include those numbers in the "Equity" of the company.

The point -- I think EVEN though I have "hidden" the "Open" account --
I think it's still numerating in this report. Do you follow my story?
I won't be hurt if you say no. :)

This program has some issues to fix. I'm just realizing how many. Take
a look at the screenshots I attached. Look at the date on the entry
for the Kevin Gilmour capital account. See how it says 6/30. When I
entered that on a different computer (still Windows), it was entered
as 7/1! Yes, I already checked my clock is right on my computer, it's
not that. Something is screwy here. I might just go out and buy
Quicken, lol. No, I wouldn't do that, but seriously, this stuff needs
to be addressed.