Trouble With "Enter" vs. "Tab" (Again)

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Wed Nov 16 15:58:20 EST 2011

On 2011-11-15, Graham P Davis wrote:

> Adam Funk <a24061 at ducksburg.com> wrote:
>> On 2011-11-14, Ian K wrote:
>>
>> > I think the 'Are you sure' catch to prevent unbalanced transactions
>> > is a great idea - I have had numerous frustrating occasions
>> > correcting transactions, deleting Imbalance-XXX accounts, only to
>> > have them reappear again next time!

>> It's very irritating that bumping the return key by accident requires
>> this clean-up task.

> My recurring problem is corrupting the date on one entry and then
> having to sort everything to find it and correct it. I'm not sure that
> an "are you sure" pop-up is the answer. When I was writing interactive
> programs about thirty years ago, some had this device but users then
> developed the double-click method to skip quickly through it. They then
> complained that what they needed was another check which said "are you
> really sure?"

I don't want an "are you sure" pop-up in particular; I want an option
like "never silently create new accounts": even if that means that
pressing enter does nothing at all in an as-yet unbalanced
transaction, that's better (for me, anyway --- and I think the default
should be the current behavior) than making a mess to clean up later.

> All I need on this system is an undo feature so that you can quickly
> correct a mistake in seconds instead of taking ages over it.

It would be nice, but I work on a project whose users occasionally ask
for "undo", and it's a lot more complicated to implement than it
looks.  After discussing it with some colleagues who know more about
the UI, I'm pleasantly surprised that "undo" works as well as it does
on anything more complicated than a text editor.