update and reconcile (U+R) during OFX import updates too much

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 20 23:57:07 EST 2011

Eric--

When I am doing this, I usually choose R. It would seem to me that in this situation, you would want the original date, yes? I mean, presumably, you know what date you wrote on the check, and isn't the what you'd want in the register? Or, to put it another way, the bank's date is not going to be the same as your date; if you prefer your information for the description, why wouldn't you prefer your information for the date? This file is supposed to be the accounting of *your* books, after all.

Perhaps it's an issue of reconciliation--as in, using your date puts the transactions out of order for reconciliation? On my statements, however, the checks are listed in a separate section, which I handle by sorting the reconcile window first by clicking the date column, and then by clicking the number column. Then all the checks are at the bottom, in order.

David