Schedule C Depreciation Expense type

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Thu Nov 24 14:57:26 EST 2011

If you're filing a Schedule C, the chances are pretty good that much
of what you would otherwise depreciate can instead be elected to be
taken as an expense during just one tax year.

There is a certain amount that one can always elect to take as an
expense, with the amount over that required to be depreciated.  But
because it's an election, you do have the choice of depreciating
everything.

I've been self-employed for many years, and have always invested very
heavily in my business, not not once have I ever exceeded that
elective expense threshold.  Every year I take the expense election,
and always report that I'm choosing to expense items that are commonly
depreciated.  The IRS has never questioned this.

I've always been so far under the limit that I long ago stopped paying
much attention as to what the numerical value of the limit actually
is, but it should be in the Schedule C instructions.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
Dulcinea Technologies Corporation
quixote at dulcineatech.com