Gnucash in "MySQL server has gone away" loop

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Sat Oct 1 23:39:22 EDT 2011

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011, Keith Bellairs wrote:

> I just installed a clean, new f15 and gnc. The gnc instance does not show
> mysql as an option in the save as dialog. (mysqld is running) Any chance the
> latest build for f15 forgot to turn on the DB build option?

You need to install the libdbi packages for mysql, I believe it's just
libdbi-drivers and libdbi-dbd-mysql. One those are installed, you can pick
File or mysql for loading/saving.

To answer John's question:

> > I'm not that familiar with MySql, but it sounds like the database has
> > problems. Can you connect to it with the mysql client program? Does
> > mysqlcheck report any errors? Are the permissions correct?

I've connected both with the mysql command line and phpMyAdmin, and dumped
the database with mysqldump, so I'm sure the user can access it. Moreover,
I've been writing to the same database for over a month.  It's not dieing on
the initial connect, it does quite a bit of work before it goes into the
reconnect loop.

This same server runs my Mythtv backend, which makes heavy use of the mysql
server and is not having any problems. (I shutdown mythv while testing so I
know it's not putting a load that is causing the problem)

Recapping, saving to SQL from a month old XML file will work. I'm guessing
it's either some data I entered last time, or something about the size I've
reached.

I've placed both the gnucash.trace and mysql transaction log files at
http://www.westnet.com/~chris/gnucash/ If this helps. They are from the same
run, so the time stamps should match. You can see in the mysql log that 55
querys are performed successfully before it enters the reconnect loop. The
trace ends with me hitting Ctrl-C