Gnucash in "MySQL server has gone away" loop

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Mon Oct 3 21:21:59 EDT 2011

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, John Ralls wrote:

> > I've connected both with the mysql command line and phpMyAdmin, and dumped
> > the database with mysqldump, so I'm sure the user can access it. Moreover,
> > I've been writing to the same database for over a month.  It's not dieing on
> > the initial connect, it does quite a bit of work before it goes into the
> > reconnect loop.
> >
> > This same server runs my Mythtv backend, which makes heavy use of the mysql
> > server and is not having any problems. (I shutdown mythv while testing so I
> > know it's not putting a load that is causing the problem)
> >
> > Recapping, saving to SQL from a month old XML file will work. I'm guessing
> > it's either some data I entered last time, or something about the size I've
> > reached.
> >
> > I've placed both the gnucash.trace and mysql transaction log files at
> > http://www.westnet.com/~chris/gnucash/ If this helps. They are from the same
> > run, so the time stamps should match. You can see in the mysql log that 55
> > querys are performed successfully before it enters the reconnect loop. The
> > trace ends with me hitting Ctrl-C
> >

> So it looks like a couple of queries are hanging up. There may be two separate issues here:
> * Either the splits or slots table (I'd vote for slots, just because it tends to be problematic) is corrupted somehow so that the
> queries to retrieve them time out.
>
> * When a query times out, Gnucash goes into a reconnect loop and
> effectively hangs. I'll have a look at that code and try to figure out
> what's going on.
>
> Do I understand correctly that you did a mysqldump of the current database
> and successfully (meaning that you were able to open it from Gnucash)
> restored it on your client machine? If that's the case, perhaps restoring
> it onto your server will get you going again.

Yes you undserstand correctly. I just tried restoring the dump to the
server's (F15) server and still ran into the reconnect loop. What I had
tried previously was to drop all tables on the server and use Gnucash to
load from the client's Mysql and save TO the server's SQL. I had the same
reconnect loop when I tried to read this back from the server's mysql.

The database passed mysqlcheck without errors