Gnucash in "MySQL server has gone away" loop

Christopher X. Candreva chris at westnet.com
Tue Oct 4 08:16:30 EDT 2011

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, John Ralls wrote:

> Interesting. 36 seconds later, same as the time between the query and the
> "reconnecting" loop on the F15.

> Googling the error, it appears that perhaps we're being too aggressive in
> batching the slots query, so that the response is bigger than can be
> accommodated without tuning the database (which the stacktrace crowd says
> must be done at both ends). Odd that the newer version croaks silently.

> I think that's telling you that you can't safely use the db, even on the
> F14, since it's dropping a bunch of your transactions after the error.

I switched to the file format as soon as I was able to load data at all. I
was afraid of that when I saw the error last night. I'll have to do some
spot checking tonight to see what may be missing.

> How big is the db?

Checking from rom phpMyAdmin, 21k rows in slots, 30k in splits, 15k in
transactions. I had imported Quicken data going back to -- (checks oldest
account) -- 1993 ! Wow, didn't realize it had data that old !