Gnucash versions

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Oct 7 04:22:59 EDT 2011

On vrijdag 7 oktober 2011, David Ryder wrote:
> On 06/10/11 15:09, John Ralls wrote:
> > On Oct 6, 2011, at 5:27 AM, David Ryder wrote:
> >> Thanks for this insight.
> >>
> >> Does this mean that if we don't convert to sql but stay in XML format,
> >> our books are interchangeable with 2.2.9-5? If so, it gives us newbies
> >> a 'backup' if we have 2.2.9-5 on another machine.
> >>
> >> David

> > When you reply to a message in a digest, please change the subject line
> > to match the one from the particular message you're responding to.
> >
> > Yes, that's correct: The XML files interoperate with Gnucash-2.2.9.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
>
> Apologies for the subject error.
>
> Thank you for the lib-dbi info.
> My (original) question then is extended to, what are the benefits of
> converting to a sql database?
Using an sql database means that all your edits are immediately saved,
resulting in a reduced risk of data loss. That is currently the only benefit.

The sql data storage of GnuCash currently isn't a clean relational database
(yet) and won't increase performance yet either. Those may change in the
future. What we have now is a first step that paves the way to much stronger
database support in later releases.

Geert