Gnucash versions

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 10 10:27:38 EDT 2011

On 7 October 2011 16:20, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
> On vrijdag 7 oktober 2011, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
>> Colin Scott wrote:
>> > There is one potential benefit of using a SQL store over an XML one
>> > that they probably won't tell you - you can read the data using tools
>> > other than gnucash!
> Technically there is no difference here between the SQL storage over the XML
> one. There are also xml parsers to extract data from an xml file. Try to open
> your (uncompressed) data file with firefox for example. The xml data format
> may not really make a lot of sense to someone who is more accustomed to sql
> tables, but someone proficient with xml and xslt can easily whip up the same
> reports you are dreaming of creating with SQL. So this is not a particular
> benefit in itself and that's one reason it specifically mentioned as such.
> Which data format is preferred is merely based on prior knowledge.

I am not entirely sure about that, it is correct in principle, but I
am not sure how easy it would be, for example, to use xslt to  produce
a report from the start of financial year to the start of the current
month, showing expenditure on all expense accounts that do not have a
corresponding entry in the budget (ie an Unbudgeted Expenditure
report).

Colin L