Gnucash 2.4.7 installation Ubuntu 10.04

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Oct 10 10:50:01 EDT 2011

On Oct 10, 2011, at 7:16 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On 8 October 2011 14:00, David Ryder <dnryder at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>   I did not use  [1]http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/getdeb_apps - it
>>   said I had broken packages and this is a clean install.
>>   So, I have found a ppa for 2.4.7.1 for ubuntu 10.04. It installed
>>   2.4.7.1 OK but without sql.
>>   Can anybody please tell me if (in Ubuntu 10.04):
>>    1. sql needs installing separately, or
>>    2.  I need another ppa for the up to date sql files?
>
> To use the mysql backend gnucash needs to be compiled with that
> feature enabled, it sounds as if the ppa you found has not got that.
> If you can wait a few days for Ubuntu 11.10 to be released and then
> upgrade to that, then the build instructions at
> http://wiki.gnucash.org
> wiki/Building#Ubuntu_11.10_.28Oneiric_Ocelot.29 should work ok.  If
> not get back to me and I will fix them.
>
> You also need a MySQL server installed (to use mysql) but you probably
> know that.

It's also necessary to have the libdbi and dbi-drivers installed, and those are usually separate packages in a Linux distro. Gnucash may have been compiled with libdbi (in which case it will have been a dependency of the .deb and already be installed), but it might be up to the user to install dbi-drivers on his own.

Regards,
John Ralls