Recovering from crash

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Oct 11 17:58:38 EDT 2011

On Tue, October 11, 2011 5:51 pm, John Ralls wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2011, at 2:01 PM, Axel Essbaum wrote:
[snip]
> If you're sure that you got the right file and that your work is still
> missing, look at the log files for that data file -- and for any backup
> files you might have entered data into (Those will have logfiles with
> names that look like filename.timestamp.gnucash.timestamp.log). Quicklook
> works on log files, so you can browse the log files in Finder. Find the
> earliest one for which data does *not* appear in your data file and select
> File>Import>Replay Gnucash .log File, then select that log file. Repeat
> for every subsequent log file.

Just a quick warning...  The log file will NOT replay business actions.
So if you posted invoices or processed payments or did anything else with
the business functions, replaying the log WILL DESTROY YOUR DATA!  Do NOT
replay a log that has transactions from business feature operations or
internal data structures will be completely messed up and you will have
lots of trouble cleaning up later.

If you did lose business feature work I'm afraid the only thing you can do
is redo the work by hand and then make sure you click save.

Save early, save often.

> Click the save button.

> Regards,
> John Ralls

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745