i have a customer who is also a vender

Robert L Brush III bobbrush3 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 19:38:47 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 10:29 -0700, rahul bhise wrote:

> i have a customer from whom i some times buy goods. and i dont pay him money, insted i deduct it from my balance.
> so when i go to Business> vendor> new bill
> and try to select the customer i cant.
> and if i make a new vender with same name it becomes a totally new account.
> is there any work arround for this.
>
> i am using gnucash 2.2.9 on ubuntu 9.10

I have an asset account (Asset:Trade) that I use for the same purpose.
Select Business>>Customer>>Process Payment then instead of saving to
"checks to be deposited" or "cash" use the "trade" account.  Likewise
you select Business>>Vendor>>Process Payment using the same account.  If
the transaction is balanced then both accounts will zero out, if not
then you can over pay on the account.

It is best to create both a vendor and customer for this, they can have
the same name without consequence (so far) because the unique identifier
is a number you can't even see, rather than the name.

As a side note, when we used quickbooks we had to have different names
John Smith (customer), John Smith (vendor), and John Smith (employee),
because when writing a check it would select from all three list, and
the name had to be unique, no big deal but the checks looked kind of
silly, I think eventually they allowed a "print as" field to make up for
this.

-Bob