gnucash not compatible ubuntu 11.04 and ubuntu 11.10

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 16 16:19:39 EDT 2011

On 16 October 2011 21:00, Johan Scheepers <johansche at telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On 16/10/2011 21:28, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 16 October 2011 19:36, Johan Scheepers<johansche at telkomsa.net>  wrote:
>>

>>> Good day,
>>>
>>> Been using gnucash for years and coming through with the same file from
>>> version to version of Ubuntu - Fedora and Debian.
>>>
>>> Just copy the saved file to new install - click on gnucash and a few more
>>> clicks and she goes.
>>>
>>> Now just installed ubuntu 11.10 and going through the same motions as
>>> usual.
>>> What a surprise " no back end ".
>>>

>> How did you install gnucash?  I have just installed a fresh 11.10
>> system, installed gnucash 2.4.7 from the ubuntu repository and it
>> works fine with my old file.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> apt-get install gnucash.

That should be ok.  (except I presume you actually used sudo apt-get ...)
With a file of that age it should be an xml file.  Are you sure you
did not accidentally save it as sqlite instead.
You could try
sudo apt-get install libdbd-sqlite3
and give it another go.

@Phil can the 'no back end' message appear for an xml file if
something is missing from the install?  If so is there a way the OP
determine what is missing?

Colin