(SOLVED) gnucash not compatible ubuntu 11.04 and ubuntu 11.10

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Oct 17 11:26:00 EDT 2011

On Oct 17, 2011, at 7:23 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On 17 October 2011 15:01, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 17, 2011, at 5:30 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>> Earlier in the thread it was suggested that the 'no backend' message
>>> could be produced even for an xml file.  Is it known under what
>>> circumstances this can happen?
>>
>> Like I said, if it opens in 2.2.9 it's an XML file. The DBI backend wasn't introduced until 2.3.something.
>
> It was not entirely clear (to me anyway) from the messages whether the
> actual file was ok with 2.2.9 or whether it had come via 2.2.9 to
> where it is now, in which case it could have been saved as sqlite
> along the way.
>

>> The "no backend" message comes from the load routine in qofsession, where it tries to autodetect the file type. IIRC the order it checks depends on the order that the backends get added to a GList, and that order isn't determinate. It's URL based, defaulting to file:// if there's no scheme in the URL string, and there are two file handlers: SQLite3 and XML. If the SQLite3 gets called first but can't run (and therefore can't return the "no, it's not mine" flag) the XML backend doesn't get a chance and you get the error.
>
> OK, understood.  So for the moment the sqlite lib should be a
> dependancy.  Will this change with the next release of gnucash?  If so
> then the fix for the ubuntu packaged version is to pick up 2.4.8.  If
> not then the dependency needs to be added.

Derek's already filed a bug because make check fails if you configure with --enable-dbi but don't have libdbd-sqlite3 and libsqlite3 to test with. I'll have a look at a configure check for those, and change the dependency list in README.dependencies. Beyond that, though, we have no control over what the distro packagers actually set as dependencies.

Regards,
John Ralls