Issue with register

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Oct 29 20:20:30 EDT 2011

On Oct 29, 2011, at 4:35 PM, David T. wrote:

> The image references three problems.
>
> The first problem of the Description column (you refer to it as "the whateveryoucallit") is explained in http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_resize_my_register_columns.3F_Why_can_I_not_shrink_the_description_column.3F
>
> The second question about the unlabeled column (which is the second, or "other" account on the transaction) is a good one. I do not know why that is unlabeled. I guess "Other Account" is a little idiosyncratic, but perhaps a developer could comment.
>
> The third problem is that there is a "hidden" column marker immediately above the vertical bar in the register that separates the "Other Account" column from the "Reconcile Status" column (that's the one with the letters "n" and "c" in it). If you click and drag in the heading at this hidden spot, you will be able to resize the Other Account column.
>
> Perhaps these interface oddities have an explanation, but your raising them does point out their hinkiness. Perhaps the developers can comment on them, and if they are bugs in Gnucash, we can report them and get this straightened out.

The column with accounts is labeled "Transfer" in basic ledger view, and the reconciled column is marked and labeled "R". As soon as one enables split view, the two labels and the divider in between disappear. I guess the rationale is that the headings are for the transaction line, and those two fields are blank in the transaction line when in split view: the accounts and reconcile status are on the split lines, for which there is no header.

I suppose one could argue that there should be another line of headers for splits, just as there's another line of headers when you turn on double line view.

Regards,
John Ralls