Question about supported databases

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Sep 5 00:03:40 EDT 2011

On Sep 3, 2011, at 10:31 PM, Samuel Figueroa wrote:

> I am wondering if gnucash only works with open source databases, or does it also work with, for example, proprietary, but free, databases, such as Oracle or IBM DB2?  If the answer is yes, would I need to recompile the gnucash source code, or is the support built into the binaries available for download?  I primarily use Windows 7, but I can run other OS's in a virtual machine, for example, if the OS makes a difference.

At present Gnucash supports only SQLite3, MySql, and Postgresql. Additional drivers are available for libdbi [1], which we use to interface between Gnucash and the RDB. Unfortunately, there are connection differences among the various RDBs, so it's necessary to write a bit of glue code into Gnucash as well as adding the dbi driver for the database  you want to use.

Regards,
John Ralls

[1] http://libdbi-drivers.sourceforge.net/\