how to track stock options?

spleen spleen42 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 15:08:38 EDT 2011

I'm having trouble figuring out how to track my stock options in GnuCash.
What I want is a GnuCash account that displays how much the stock options
are worth to me.

For example, if the accounts tab shows that my assets.bank.chequing account
has a balance of $500, it means that I if I went to the bank and withdrew
all of my money I could buy $500 worth of beer. I want my
assets.investments.stockoptions account to show me how much beer I could buy
if I exercised my stock options. I'm guessing this would involve creating
subaccounts for the granted options, vested options, exercised options, and
whatnot. Also I'd probably need to set up scheduled transactions according
to my vesting schedule, and set the grant price and current price of the
stock in the price editor. Also, how do I represent the initial grant? I
tried to create an income.stockoptions account with my stock as the
security/currency, but it seems that I can only choose currencies, not
securities.

Can anybody provide an example of how to accomplish this?

Thanks,
spleen