Invoice post date issue

Axel Essbaum axel at essbaum.com
Mon Sep 12 07:22:30 EDT 2011

On Sep 12, 2011, at 9:42, Mike Evans wrote:

> On Monday 12 Sep 2011 07:58:26 Geert Janssens wrote:
>> On zondag 11 september 2011, Axel Essbaum wrote:
>>> I asked about this several months back and was under the impression it
>>> was going to be fixed but perhaps I misunderstood.
>>>
>>> I am running Gnucash 2.4.7 under OSX 10.6.8.
>>>
>>> I created an invoice on July 14, 2011.
>>> The invoice now has entries ranging from July 14 to September 11.
>>> I click "Post" and the form says "Post date: July 14, 2011"
>>>
>>> Should the Post date not be today (the date I clicked "Post")?
>>
>> What the Post date should be depends on how GnuCash is used. That makes
>> this more complicated. I first changed it to the date opened because that
>> matched my usage (and other users as well because there was an independent
>> bug report for this).
>>
>> Resetting it to today would solve your problem but cause me a lot of
>> additional typing and clicking.
>>
>> So I'm inclined to go with Derek's suggestion to use the last used date as
>> the post date.
>>
>> If that's not acceptable, we may need a preference setting for this because
>> it would mean the different use cases need different behaviour for the
>> post date.
>>
>> What do you think ?
>>
>> Geert
> Personally, I have to manually change change the post date to "today" every
> time.
> Mike E

Hi Geert,

I'm fine with a preference setting.  I am in the same boat as Mike - having to change the post date every time, or else have my billing screwed up.

Yesterday I again sent an incorrect late payment notice to someone (whose Invoice has a Post date of June 6, and so a due date of July 6, and so is now 2 months overdue.  But I had actually Posted and emailed the Invoice on September 3, which the client pointed out with some irritation :-/ )

I'm curious how you use the Posting function if you Post on the opening date of the Invoice.  Do you calculate the payment due date based on the opening of the Invoice?

--
Axel Essbaum
axel at essbaum.com