"No Customer" appears in Customer Summary report

Robert L Brush III bobbrush3 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 15:15:36 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-09-15 at 07:56 -0400, . wrote:

> customers I do have.  How do I get rid of the "no customer"

Long answer:

The customer summary report is really a customer profit report, it
combines all income and expenses for a specified time period, then
calculates the gross profit, and the results are organized by
"Customer".  One of the shortcomings is without proper labeling of
invoices or bills the perceived gross profit can be reported in a very
optimistic way. This is because it is natural that each invoice will
have an owner, you can't create one with out it.  Creating bills,
however, can be done without a "Customer", and by default the blank is
empty.  So hypothetically the report could show 40% total gross profit,
however, if properly billed would have reported only 10% gross profit.
The extra line was added to catch this situation, and would report
expenses of $30,000 for "No Customer".  I think this information is
necessary and important to present the whole picture.  The downside is
it makes for somewhat ugly report, in my case usually showing thousands
of percent negative profit for "No Customer".  The reason being that
unbilled expenses happen by default, but the only way I know of to get
income for "No Customer" is manually use the "Income:Sales" account in a
register somewhere, something that doesn't happen if you stick to the
business features.  Perhaps in the future we can add a disclaimer under
the total line that reads, "This report may only be xx% accurate due to
$30,000 of unbilled expenses and $125 of income reported outside of the
business features" instead of the "No Customer" line.  For now it seems
to be a good compromise.

Short answer:

The way it is currently set up, everyone has an entry for "no customer"
and is added by design.

Thanks,  Bob
--
Robert L. Brush III
Raleigh Tile of Beckley ** West Virginia
bob at raleightile.com