tracking shared expenses and a joint account

M. D. Betterton betterton at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 18:48:58 EDT 2011

I'm part of a couple that uses a joint checking account for shared
living expenses. The theory is that we each put money into the account
each month, then pay for living expenses from that account. In
practice we each sometimes put shared expenses on one of our
individual credit card accounts, then get reimbursed from the joint
checking account. We also vary how much we contribute each month in an
ad hoc way. What's a good way to track this situation in Gnucash? I
understand how to record the actual amount in the checking account,
but how to track the amount each of us owes to that joint account
based on what we should pay versus what we actually paid.

Meredith