Lost file

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Tue Sep 27 22:26:00 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 7:06 PM, David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I bought a fireproof safe so I don't need to go to the bank.

You'll be disappointed to know that fireproof safes are only good for
preventing paper documents from catching fire.  They do this by having
gypsum embedded in the walls of the safe.  When it gets hot it
decomposes, with water vapor - steam - being one of the decomposition
products.  The steam displaces all the air inside the safe, thereby
keeping your precious documents from oxidizing.

The inside of the safe still gets hot though, so the microscopically
thing magnetic plastic coating on the surface of your drive platters
will still melt.

If you either can't afford a safe deposit box or just don't want to
deal with a bank, stash your offsite drive with a trusted friend or
family member.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote at dulcineatech.com

   Custom Software Development for the iPhone and Mac OS X
   http://www.dulcineatech.com/custom-software-development/