Python bindings by default

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Apr 3 11:30:07 EDT 2012

On Apr 3, 2012, at 7:52 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>
>> I'll also note that the python bindings are an application PROGRAMMING
>> interface, i.e., *not for users*. It doesn't seem at all unreasonable
>> to me that someone who wants to develop with Gnucash's API should have
>> to build it from source first. It's tedious and annoying on Windows,
>> but not difficult.
>
> Except, of course, that the curent build system for windows does not
> have any hooks for building the python bindings.  I would agree with you
> more strongly if those hooks were in place.

All that should be needed is to edit the configure options in install-impl.sh and make sure that the necessary python environment variables are defined, just as one would do for a unix build. What sort of hooks do you want?

A more interesting question is whether anyone has checked that the python bindings even work on M$Win, either with ActiveState or MinGW python. I haven't.

Regards,
John Ralls