Account ID

Shokster ashok.sinha at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 18:58:17 EDT 2012

Hi community,

I've looked around and am wondering if anybody has figured out how to do
this. Let's say I have 50 different mutual fund investments (Assets:Mutual
Funds:Fund 1, ... , Fund n), and that for each of these investments, i have
related paper work elsewhere in a filing cabinet. On my paper based book
keeping system, I have a unique id number assigned to each of these
investment accounts, and the papers are similarly indexed by this unique id.

In the spirit of porting my paper based ledger to an electronic ledger, Is
there a way of doing this in GnuCash? I was looking at the account id
option, but that doesn't seem to be leading anywhere useful, and moreover,
that doesn't even need to be unique.

Also, this unique id would show up in many places. For instance, in
transactions as well as in descriptions, it would be way cool to select an
account id rather than scroll through hundreds of lines in the pull down
menu.

And if somebody did have up to 50 different mutual funds being 'bookkept' by
GnuCash, what is the best option for analyzing their performance since
purchase? In my paper based ledger, each mutual fund account maintains its
own income account. I can certainly create a nested income account for each
fund, but that doesn't help much since GnuCash itself doesn't have
exhaustive analysis features. Does anybody use other software that
complements and broadens the functionality in this regard?

Ashok