Fwd: multiple display of the same transaction

rhigh38 at cs.com rhigh38 at cs.com
Wed Apr 4 17:40:22 EDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net>
To: gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
Sent: Wed, Apr 4, 2012 1:41 pm
Subject: Re: multiple display of the same transaction

On 4/4/2012 1:20 PM, gnucash-user at rainbowdreams.com wrote:>> When a
transaction that has more than one split for the>> same account is
viewed in that account's register, one>> sees the transaction displayed
multiple times.> My frequently used scenario for this is for detailed
expense tracking. Say I > spend $100 at my local purveyor of music and
video and I buy 5 DVD's for $20 > each. I could just record this as
"$100 spent to Expenses:DVDs" but it's nice > to also take a little
extra time and get an inventory too at the same time. If > I do it in
one transaction with splits, then when I look in Expenses:DVDs I > have
5 splits recorded with the right amounts but the description is the
same > for all of them ("Local purveyor of music and video") rather
than the split > description of "Really cool movie" or "TV show I'm
ashamed to admit > purchasing". That's with the Basic Ledger view.
Journal view of course shows > me all of the splits and not just the
splits posted to the account being > viewed.>> My easy solution has
been to create a "Line item expenses" account to record > the $100
spent at "Local purveyor of music and video" followed by 5 separate >
transactions for the individual items into the Expenses:DVDs account
(and > whereever else the money goes.). It's an extra step, but gives
me nice > descriptions in the expense account. It also gets around the
"annoyance" of > trying to work around remembered splits which seem to
never quite be close > enough to what I want to reuse yet useful enough
to not want to clear and > start over.>> This has actually annoyed me
enough in the past to have experimented with the > code (2.2? maybe
2.4?) to try to change the register view to show the split >
description when there was one and the transaction description when
there > wasn't one. I think I got it mostly working, but still had some
issues and > don't remember if I got an option created to let user
decide which way to > show.>> Maybe I should track the code down and
try to get it working with latest code > ... then post to
gnucash-devel? someone can advise on fixing the horrible > hatchet job
remember to CC this list on all your replies.> You can do this by using
Reply-To-List or Reply-All.>Now we have two users who actually go to
the 'child' account and aredisappointed by what they find there.  That
is a 100% increase.David Carlson