Actions in Stock accounts split from thread: multiple display of the same transaction

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 4 21:00:58 EDT 2012

On 4/4/2012 7:27 PM, Dustin Henning wrote:
> 	When I accidentally choose the account I'm in as the account I'm
> transferring to/from, it shows up as two lines like this.  I believe I
> messed up and try to delete the one that is wrong and both disappear.  This
> has happened multiple times.  However, if these were combined to one, it
> would show the same amount on both columns and as such, be much more obvious
> what was wrong.  OTOH, I actually use a separte split for capital gains on
> securities (as opposed to the recently discussed method apparently in the
> documentation).  I believe my reply on that post had transaction and split
> backwards, but that is beside the point.  I want my capital gains to show up
> in what I consider as a transaction, as opposed to being split between the
> lots being sold in that transaction.  If I didn't want to see an extra line,
> I would expect to be able to combine it into a "split transaction" (this
> term is what makes the words get confused for me), and be disappointed that
> the capital gain was showing in a separate, but not identical line.  Does
> that make number of affected users a 200% increase, or an additional 50%
> increase?

[snip]

I have also observed that there are two ways to document capital gains,
the single transaction method mentioned in that other thread, and the
two transaction method that the View Lots Action makes through the Scrub
and scrub account functions.  I do not use the scrub function because it
ignores commissions, but it appears that if it were fixed to properly
account for commissions, it would be a nice tool.

I believe that trying to cram the capital gains documentation into the
very limited split transaction view is, as you say, very confusing at
best.   If a different view was defined to visually separate fields for
the additional information, I think a lot of our confusion would go away.

I invite others to comment on this.

David Carlson