Trial balance discrepancy due to mixed currencies

Mark gnucash at instruform.com
Wed Apr 11 23:17:12 EDT 2012

Hi all,

I run my Gnucash 2.4.10 accounts in NZD. I do, however, have expenses
and invoices that I incur and issue in other currencies for the
convenience of my clients. I therefore also have accounts in USD (bank,
debtors, income, disbursements).

I have isolated a problem with the trial balance in Gnucash. On 10 July
2011, it shows up correctly and balances (more or less - 1 cent out). On
11 July 2011, it is out by $956.19. Looking at the change in the trial
balance, a change of $3114.00 in G/L transactions is accounted for on
both sides of the trial balance for the transactions on 11 July 2011
(determined from a transaction report).

The big change in the trial balance, however, is that on 10 July 2011,
the trial balance correctly reflected amounts in the USD accounts (bank,
debtors, income, disbursements). From 11 July onwards, these amounts are
missing and are instead replaced by a single dollar sign with no amount
reflected next to them and are not accounted for, leading to the
discrepancy. There are no transactions in the G/L for 11 July 2011 that
would account for this.

All I can think of is that Gnucash is getting hung up on the exchange
rate conversion and reflecting no converted balance, which is leading to
the discrepancy in the trial balance.

Does any one have any ideas on how to resolve this? Thanks in advance.

Regards
Mark