Account Codes

Shokster ashok.sinha at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 09:49:36 EDT 2012

Maf. King:
>Assets:Investments:1_3_20
>Assets:Investments:3_1_15

In combination with 'notes fields', it could work! Thanks for the idea!
---------------------
Yavar wrote:

>One way to get around that would be for GnuCash itself to auto-generate and
put in a random (or >numerically increasing) account code whenever an
account is created, and of course the user can then >change it whenever they
like. But of course this would require an internal change to GnuCash.

This feature would rock, especially if there's a way to tell GnuCash how to
generate new id's (like a pattern generator)! Is it possible to code it in?
Sorry to sound so ignorant, but I'm really new to this. I've used plenty of
scientific computing in Fortran, Matlab, and C++, but only in academic
courses and as non-object-oriented programming. I'm new to the concept of
GnuCash, but I could catch up pretty quick on the programming.

A few notes though:
When a fund investment is redeemed, the account is closed and at the end of
the financial year the papers are archived into a garage storage for 10
years (statutory period as regards tax reporting). This creates an empty
slot in the office filing cabinet which can then be used for a new
investment file (in the same physical address as the last one). eg. say
[cabinet1_drawer1_position5]. I'm hoping that this will not cause too much
complication on the software end. Any comments?