Canadian GST/HST Rebate

Wiliam Colls william.colls at rogers.com
Sat Apr 14 15:57:00 EDT 2012

On 04/13/2012 09:39 PM, Larissa Hayward wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a Canadian small business owner and we received a GST/HST rebate. Can someone tell me the correct way to enter this in Gnucash?
> Thanks,
> Larissa

Depends on how you set up your GST/HST Accounts.

I use three liability accounts: GST Collected, GST Paid, and GST
Payable. For each taxable transaction, the GST amount gets posted to one
of GST Collected, or GST Paid. At the end of each reporting peerod,
Quarterly in my case, I would make a General Journal entry to debit GST
Collected , credit GST PAid, and a balancing entry to GST Payable which
reflects either the amount I must remit, or the amount the feds owe me.
Then, when I cut a cheque, or receive my rebate, the posting is to bank,
and GST payable. For exampole, suppose during the quarter I have
collected $50.00 in GST, but have paid out $100.00. So at the end of the
quarter My GST Collected account has a credit balance $50.00, and my GST
Paid account has a debit balance $100.00. The end of quater GL entry is:

GST Colleceted                $50.00
GST Paid                               $100.00
GST Payable                   $50.00

I make my submission to the feds, and they send me a cheque for $50.00.
I now make a General Journal entry:

Bank                           $50.00
GST Payable                            $50.00

William.

--
I know that you believe that you understand what you think I said, but I
am not sure that you realise that what you heard was not what I meant.