Question about how to post something - simple I think?

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Sat Apr 14 22:03:31 EDT 2012

Is it a fee (expense) or a deposit (asset)?

IMO, if you end up with a $25 starting balance in the bank account, it's
an asset, not a fee, even if the only way for you to access it is to
close the account (i.e. the account has a $25 minimum balance), and you
don't need any other accounting for it, apart from a transfer to the
GnuCash bank account from your wallet account, or however you account
for petty cash/cash in hand.

If you pay the bank $25, and it doesn't appear in your bank account
balance, but the bank returns it if you close the account, then it's an
asset, but you probably should have a separate GnuCash account for it
from your bank account in GnuCash, otherwise your GnuCash account will
be out by $25 whenever you reconcile. The Credit Union I use in
Australia operates like this - to be able to open an account, you have
to buy a AUD10 share in the Credit Union. This AUD10 is returned to you
if you close all your accounts and cease to be a member/shareholder, but
the share value is not included in any account balance.

If you just pay $25 and can never get it back from the bank, it's an
expense.

Peter