Testing reports

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Wed Apr 18 10:27:00 EDT 2012

> For what it's worth, I didn't read the response that way at all.

Even by your own remarks it seems a pretty inescapable conclusion that for anyone who is not able to contribute and not able to provide a well-worked-out specification - which is going to be a pretty large proportion of your users.

> you're more likely to get a positive reaction with a well-worked-out
> specification

Who in their right mind is going to provide a full spec unless they think there is some chance of being implemented.  I guess it must have happened, but I don't recall seeing any request for an enhancement or fix ever being met with a "give us a spec" (let alone "give us a spec and we'll do it"!).  The more usual reply might be better paraphrased as "not interested" or "bad idea", with an occasional "good idea" thrown in.  Beyond that, nothing unless the quesioner gets persistent, in which case it becomes "Put up and DIY, or shut up".

I oversimplify for brevity, but I don't think I'm that far out.

> -- and, for that matter, an offer to sponsor the feature --

Ah, now there's a new can of worms!  :-)  It strikes me that anybody who is in a position to do that is in a position to buy a commercial package.  Ask yourself why people use free software?  So I would hazard a guess that feature sponsorships are *very* rare on the ground.

I continue to believe that there is a fundamental problem here.  Because you (by which I mean "all you developers", and I don't know if you personally are one such or not!  :-) have no definition either of what gnucash is trying to be, nor of what is its target market, you have no means of assessing whether or not any given proposal is one that it would be sensible to devote time and effort to developing.

Colin