Testing reports

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Thu Apr 19 06:33:00 EDT 2012

> Colin: while you started out with (perhaps excessively ardent)
> advocacy, you have since crossed the line into simple bashing.
> At this point I consider your posts to be ordinary trolling
> and not worth responding to.

<sigh>

There is an element in here who take any form of criticism (which apparently can encompass suggestions for a change or a new feature) as destructive and personal rather than, as intended, constructive and general. There are some who will, apparently, similarly interpret comments that merely conflict in some way with their own world view.  Sometimes one just senses the bristling in their responses, sometime it is explicit.  And sometimes the responses are just plain abusive - you don't need too go far back up this thread to find a perfect example of what I mean.  I don't know (and I don't particularly care) who these people are, whether they are part of the team or just here for the hunting, but the combined effect is to add significant amount of heat to discussions in here - and most of that heat seems to get directed at dissenters, particularly those having the temerity to press a point.

So I'll hold my hands up to degree of exaggeration in the comment to which you take offence (in the perhaps pedantic sense that "not unusual" means "usual", which it clearly isn't, and was not what I intended to say) but in essence I believe my point remains valid.

> This entire thread started with developers
> responding favorably ...

Indeed.  Yet if you look a few messages up the thread you see nakedly hostile and gratuitously offensive personal remarks aimed at Mr Layman in response to one of the more thoughtful, relevant and measured  postings in this thread.  Which rather nicely illustrates what I am getting at.

> to your (and Layman's, assuming you are
> not a sock puppet for him) request for better testing of
> reports.

And here we find yet more personal innuendo that might reasonably be construed as abusive.  And somehow *I* am the troll?

> Despite your pontificating on how open source software "should"
> work, you really don't seem to know much about it at all.

It would seem either that one of us remarkably bad at expressing themself, or the other is remarkably bad at reading what's been said.  I simply do not recognise anything I've said from that characterisation.  Indeed, I have freely admitted I have never worked on an open-source development.  But I *have* worked for 30 years in software development, and so do have some right to an opinion on relevant processes

> Your mis-characterization

Hmmmm.  Pots and kettles spring to mind ...

Colin