The role of users

Stuart McGraw smcg4191 at frii.com
Fri Apr 20 16:09:33 EDT 2012

On 04/20/2012 01:15 PM, Paula Hendricks wrote:
>[...]
> i am a newbie to the group, so i don't have a long history, but i
> have found the group to be nothing but generous and helpful with the
> questions i have had. i realize that we all have different
> expectations and needs and that we all have different experiences
> with products and support groups... and that my experience might not
> be the same as someone else's.
>
> i'm so grateful to have found this software and this community. THANK
> YOU.

That pretty much sums up my view as well.  I've found this
list and the gnucash developers far less negative than many
other open-source project communities.

I find the "negative attitude" referred to in the post you
are replying to coming not from developers but primarily
from a small number of posters complaining that the people
who do the work won't do it in a way the complainers think
it should be done.  Nothing new there, everyone wants to be
the boss, directing the work of others.

I've no problem with anyone voicing complaints -- it can
provide needed feedback and balance an excessively rosy
picture of a project sometimes painted by those close to it.

But to ignore the volunteer nature of gnucash's development
and to demand that someone else do "what I want", not just
once or twice but repetitively, is, as I've said, simple
trolling in my view.  <Sigh> unfortunately, although I should
know better, I just bit again.