The role of users

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Apr 20 17:53:32 EDT 2012

Paula Hendricks wrote:

>i wasn't going to jump into this conversation, but i think i will. i am a "user" and a non-techie. there is no way i can "fix" anything, but i am also a great beta tester... so if help is needed along the way for this, let me know.

No, I wasn't trying to flame.

THIS is the sort of response I was trying to elicit (beta testing
requires USERS).

I have worn all the hats (at various times) in the software development
process. What folks who have never done this before might not realize is
that it is important to always keep in mind which hat on at the moment.

During the "requirements" phase you DON'T want the people doing that to
be those who will eventually be doing the coding unless there is no
alternative. It's not for the coders decide what the program SHOULD be
doing. That's up to other folks (wearing user hats) and then up to the
code designers to make it so and then for the coders to implement that
design.

Users generally need help with their part of the process. They usually
know what they want in broad general terms but not the specifics and
those details must be specified too ("if the user forgot to enter some
required field, what happens next?"). That's the job of an analyst
assisting the users come up with the formal definition of what the
program is supposed to do. Not be telling them but by asking them. In
that example I gave, the users can probably say what they want to happen
in that case once they are asked but they won't imagine "exception
conditions" until asked.

Understand? If I were to design/code almost ANY of the user requests I
have seen I guarantee the results would not satisfy the user making the
request. Not because I am a bad designer/coder (far from it)  but
because I'm not a mind reader. We need USER TEAMS as part of the
process, people who will volunteer to take a vague request and turn that
into a formal set of requirements.

Michael